Friday, May 22, 2009

Random Cogitations

Per the Blogging Code, we are required to post random collections of thoughts on regular intervals. Here are my latest random, but now collected, thoughts on various topics.

Giro d'Italia - I know the Tour de France is the grand-daddy of them all, but is there more beautiful scenery than that behind the race in Italy? The country-side is breath-taking, the roads wonderful and ridiculous and totally inappropriate for 180 cyclists and the 100 support cars it takes for a major tour. I do think that promoters need to take into account the safety of the riders, but I can't blame them for cramming the Giro onto some of these great roads. There just isn't a better way to instill a desire to travel for me than to watch this race.

Race Coverage - Speaking of watching this race, isn't it time for another rant about how hard it USED to be to find information about professional racing? Now settle down while I light my pipe and tell you kids about the old days. Why, we used to have to adjust the rabbit ears on the television to catch the CBS Wide World of Sports scant weekly coverage of the Tour de France! You don't know what rabbit ears or what Wide World of Sports are? Why you young whipper-snappers, let me tell you a thing or two!

Okay, I'll skip that particular extended rant, but we have a SECOND television channel covering professional cycling, we have live streaming internet coverage FREE, and there are multiple websites offering live and/or same-day results, analysis and discussion. It is wonderful and overwhelming.

Lance Armstrong, Danilo DeLuca, Ivan Basso - Should these guys be grouped together?

Jens Voigt - I smile every time Jens comes on the screen. Indeed, WWJD?

Horrillo - Horrible. Best of luck to him.

Weather - Getting nice in Spokane. I MUST RIDE MY BIKE! WORK BE DAMNED, FAMILY BE DAMNED, OBLIGATIONS BE DAMNED!

Turns out it is not nice to damn one's work and family, nor is it easy to damn one's obligations without the benefit of a medically identifiable addiction. Oh well. I know cycling time is coming back soon.
Rider 3

1 comment:

  1. Oh the thrill of victory and the agony of Da Feet.

    Nice post Rider 3.

    -B

    ReplyDelete