Monday, January 26, 2009

A Photo Essay of my Sunday Ride

A photo essay is like a tone poem, except in this case there is no music and no poetry. Also, I am taking liberties and commenting liberally on the photos.

Bike is ready, although an hour after I intended to leave. See the flag. The wind was blowing. It was 25F when I left. I should have hit the trainer.

From Rides


A couple of miles into my ride, I came across my first of many animal contacts. This is not a great picture, but I was afraid the bald eagle would fly away if I got closer. It is sitting in a deer carcass. Across the street was a group of 20-30 turkeys.

From Rides


Does it look cold? Hangman Road a bit past Hatch Road.

From Rides


I can see the sun. Why can't it see me? Has it forsaken me since I stopped believing in it?

From Rides


Umm, the road is going uphill. Wouldn't it be better if I went home now?

From Rides


Last summer the Valley Chapel Road was closed here all summer. Here is why. Look carefully and you can see the 30-40 feet of concrete between asphalt stretches. That is the bridge that was replaced.

From Rides


Here is the reason for the bridge. This is just shy of the spring run-off level. Nothing in the stream bed all summer. Couldn't we have just hopped across it instead of having the road blocked off for 3-4 months? Does one of the county commissioners own a bridge building company?

From Rides


Beauty shot.

From Rides


The bottom of the Valley Chapel Hill. My friend Bob says this hill has three parts. I will prove him wrong in a future post.

From Rides

No comments:

Post a Comment